"James R. Gerland (Postmaster)" <GERLAND@UBVM>
Mon, 27 Nov 89 15:57:43 EST
On Mon, 27 Nov 89 17:14:10 GMT Dermot O'Beirne said:
>Someone, somewhere appears to be subscribing lists to other lists.
>For example INFO-VAX (big in itself) got a message saying it was sucessfully
>subscribed to several lists including RISKS-L and perhaps vice-versa; and
>I have heard of problems with INFO-PC also. Does anyone know what is going on?
>
>Dermot

Here's what happened:

Someone found out the password for the account V062QJJQ@UBVMSA and logged
into it either Thursday or Friday of last week.  They then SUBSCRIBED to
a number of lists.  Next they set their VAXMail forward to the INFO-VAX
list so that all the "Your are now subscribed" messages ended up going to
the INFO-VAX list making it look like the list itself or the person getting
the mail was actually subscribed to these lists.  I found out about it this
morning and immediately closed the offending account, unset the forward,
issued a SIGNOFF * (NETWIDE for V062QJJQ@UBVMSA (which will be processed
after "prime time" and sent an apology out to the INFO-VAX list.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this mess has caused.  You can rest
assured I will not tolerate this behavior from any of my nodes.
Jim...