Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Jan 1993 17:09:58 +0100
On Fri, 29 Jan 1993 10:38:55 EST Nick Laflamme <NLAFLAMM@IRISHVMA> said:

>Are you saying, Eric, that the ability to say that mail to a node should
>be delivered in sets of five recipients  at a time is no longer there in
>1.7e, that  I can't  make LISTSERV behave  the way it  used to,  even by
>twisting LOCAL SYSVARS or Local= or  Mail-via or some other method? This
>loss of flexibility would be truly missed if that's the case.

It has never been there in the  example you mentioned. If the 'To:' field
has  the  names  of individual  people,  there  will  always  be 1  to  5
recipients (always 1 in 1.7f). The reason for not going beyond 5 was that
the  header  would   get  just  too  long.  If  it   says  'To:  Multiple
recipients...' there has never been a limit of 5 recipients. Before, hmm,
1.7d I think,  there was absolutely no limit. 1.7d  introduced a MAXBSMTP
parameter in LOCAL  SYSVARS to prevent the generation of  BSMTP jobs with
3000 recipients  on large lists which  would make the mailer  or SMTP run
out of storage. The default value is 500 and you could set it to 5 if you
want, but note that this means you will  get a lot more files on SMTP 191
for the same message.

Regarding your  message on  XMAILER which  I've just  read: I  have never
understood why XMAILER  aborts the entire delivery if  a single recipient
is misspelled. This  means a typo in  the list, possibly caused  by a bug
(that is,  an error  which isn't really  an error but  gets you  an error
message anyway) will make the list totally inoperative.

  Eric