David Nessl <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 10:10:13 -0400
On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Jim Gerland wrote:
> Can LISTSERV be modified to ignore the case of the log file names?
> Or, do I have to renamed *every* one of the 5,000+ logs files I will
> eventually be moving?

Take a few minutes to learn some Unix -- after transfering all the log
files (say using ftp "mget *.LOG*") you can mass-rename the log files
using a single pipeline.  Here's one way (not necessarily the best) which
assumes the LOG files are in the current-directory:

   find . -name '*.LOG*' -maxdepth 1 -print \
     | awk '{print $1,tolower($1)}' \
     | xargs -t -n2 mv

(This isn't that conceptually different from an equivalent CMS Pipelines
solution.)

-david