Chris McFerren <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:37:02 -0400
I have been receiving conflicting results between web-based and
e-mail-based inquiries of several lists I maintain.  We are running 1.8d
(HPO) for Unix with Sendmail on the same machine.

I have a list to which I bulk added 30 subscribers via the web.  I wanted
to test a feature so I deleted all subscribers, added only myself and
verified that I was the only subscriber all via the web.  I sent out a
test message only to receive replies from many persons all of which should
have been unsubscribed.  I did not receive the message.

I have a list to which all subscribers are concealed.  I modified my
subscription to unconcealed through the web interface.  I performed some
testing then I reverted my subscription back to concealed.  The web
interface confirms this, but when I review the list via e-mail I am still
concealed.

Shortly before these occurrences we applied the security patch and
upgraded to HPO.  Since then I have observed some peculiar behaviors.  In
addition to the above I have not been able to see concealed subscribers in
response to commands submitted via e-mail even though I am a ListServ
administrator.  I have to submit review commands via the web interface to
see concealed subscribers.  This was explained to me as the web interface
uses scan when retrieving subscriber info and the e-mail-based command is
review.  Regardless, the results I am experiencing are not consistent with
what I recall and I have not changed the way I interact with Listserv.

Today I submitted a review command via the web interface.  I received
into my e-mail account a request to confirm my request.  Even though my
request was to review the list the confirmation message included wording
to the effect that I would later receive confirmation of my subscription
request.  I've been subscribed to this list since it was created!  I ok'd
it and later received the correct results.

What's going on here?  Is there web-lag?  Are commands submitted via the
web not executed as quickly as or different than commands submitted via
e-mail?