"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Mon, 15 Aug 88 11:33:55 GMT
I have another of my usual  improductive questions to ask: there are presently
2710 spool files on the RSCS reader  at CEARN (mostly because FRMOP22 has been
down since saturday 20:30 - another matter  which I will not discuss here). Of
these 2710 files,  810 are INFO-VAX mail files. Yes,  you have read correctly.
30% of  the files  waiting at CEARN  are INFO-VAX mail  files. They  total 96k
records, ie 25% of the total RSCS  queue. INFO-VAX usually comes in bunches of
100 to 200  postings, each of them  from 50 to 1500 records,  every other day.
That is, you have days without INFO-VAX, and days with 100-200 of them.

I would like someone to actually convince  me that this list is worth spending
25% of our bandwidth, not to mention the LISTSERV/MAILER CPU time, etc etc. No
other list in  the world produces anything above 20%  of the INFO-VAX traffic,
and these are already  what we call "huge" lists. That's a  bit as if INFO-VAX
mapped into the yearly benefits of IBM, LINKFAIL were those of DEC, etc.

  Eric