Sat, 9 Aug 1997 11:56:22 -0400
Thanks folks, I didn't realize I could use the wildcard to replace the
quotes, that worked just fine.

One interesting note, though, was that when I got the confirmation back
that the user had been removed, it displayed the email address without
the quotes (even though it always displayed it with the quotes on scan
and query).

Don't you think that the likelihood of having two different subscribers
using exactly the same email address, with the only difference being
that one has quotes somewhere in it while the other is identical without
the quotes, is extremely small (I have none today). Compare this to some
400+ subscribers of my list (with 6000 total) who have quotation marks
in their addresses.

My point, the routines should be able to accept an address exactly as
any of the other routines might return it.

I always use the cut and paste method, rather than typing anything with
wildcards, since it usually happens that I have to scan first to find
the subscribed address (you know how the bounces often either don't give
the full address or give you an address that has more subs in it than
the subscribed alias) when I'm doing my list maintenance. Once you've
done the scan (and I usually put all my scans together in a single post
to listserv) then you have all of the full subscribed email addresses
sitting in front of you.

It certainly would make sense to me to just be able to send whatever you
got back from the scan back to listserv for a removal, and I honestly
can't see where someone would end up with an adverse situation as a
result of it.

Cheers,
Russ
R.C. Consulting, Inc. - NT/Internet Security
owner of the NTBugTraq mailing list:
http://ntbugtraq.rc.on.ca/index.html