Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 13 Feb 1994 04:14:23 +0100
On Sat, 12 Feb 1994  18:11:57 -0500 "Craig A. Summerhill" <[log in to unmask]>
said:

I don't know why I'm answering this, but anyway...

>Making comparisons of Unix-Listprocessor performance from one machine to
>the next is difficult, comparing  it to the largely VM/NJE/RSCS LISTSERV
>is nuts.

While I  would probably agree with  you if people were  comparing numbers
that differed  by about  20-30%, I  think you're  not realizing  that the
order of magnitude  is different. It is  fair to say that,  in general, a
unix list  manager running on a  typical unix workstation has  a lot more
CPU  power at  its disposal  than LISTSERV  running on  a typical  BITNET
system.  To take  an  extreme example,  LISTSERV@SEARN  deals out  40,000
messages a  day to researchers  in Sweden. The CPU  on which it  runs has
about 50% of  the horsepower of a  486/66 to start with  (and that's with
the 486 doing  32-bit arithmetic in 16-bit DOS mode),  14M of memory, and
one  disk unit  with  about  the same  performance  as  a typical  SCSI-2
workstation  disk.  The PC  I  am  typing  this  from has  more  hardware
resources, except the disk is  smaller. In this environment LISTSERV uses
up 1.52% of the CPU (over 720h),  and all the SMTP processes and anything
that sendmail might possibly do under  unix is about 6%, counting traffic
that has nothing to do with LISTSERV. Finally, a sizeable fraction of the
code  is written  in  an  interpreted language;  this  more than  offsets
whatever little  assembler code is  left (mostly the assembler  code does
things one cannot do in REXX). And on top of that, the PASCAL compiler is
probably the  most inefficient  IBM has.  The person  who wrote  the code
generator does  not understand the architecture.  Slower instructions are
used to implement FOR  loops in order to save two  bytes for the constant
'1' (that  is two bytes  for the entire routine,  not even two  bytes per
loop).  When you  take the  address of  something, the  compiler adds  an
instructions to  clear a  bit that is  architecturally always  cleared. I
assume the author  of the compiler was not sure  and thought "better safe
than sorry". There  are been no new  version since 1988, in  spite of the
fact that  many IBM products  are written in  that language. At  any rate
there is  easily a  factor of two  compared to just  about any  other IBM
compiler. So  you will  understand that  I am beginning  to get  tired of
hearing that "LISTSERV  is faster because it is highly  optimized for the
S/370 architecture and runs on very fast mainframes".

>Finally, the  Unix-Listprocessor is  heavily reliant on  SMTP (primarily
>unix's sendmail) for the actual delivery  of mail. With all deference to
>the IETF  powers-that-be, this is  a protocol which is  not particularly
>good a point to multi-point transmission

I agree, but what do you think  LISTSERV uses to deliver mail to Internet
users? RSCS? :-)

>However,  if Mr.  Thomas plans  on relying  on sendmail  for the  actual
>spooling and delivery of mail, as the Unix-Listprocessor system does, he
>may find that his own product doesn't  perform as well as it does in its
>current environment.

I am  aware of  this problem.  The first versions  will use  sendmail (or
whatever is  installed on  the box),  for the  simple reason  that people
would rather have a slower product in a year than wait an extra year just
for speed.  The architecture of  LISTSERV makes  it possible to  have the
actual delivery  done on another  system with more suitable  software (in
practice  this means  an  AXP workstation  running  VMS), so  technically
speaking the problem can be solved by an administrative change. However I
expect  that this  will not  help as  most people  will want  a unix-only
solution and  the only way to  improve the performance of  sendmail is to
replace it by something else that has to be coded.

>you'll  have a  hard  time  convincing me  that  Mr.  Thomas has  better
>solutions  to  some of  the  real  problems confronting  list-management
>developers   in   unix-like   environments  than   those   employed   in
>Unix-Listprocessor.

Here again I agree with you. The  philosophy of LISTSERV is that the user
(and this  includes list owners) should  not have to know  what operating
system it  is running under,  least of all  have to learn  this operating
system. If you think list management in a unix-like environment should be
different  from  list  management  in a  VM-like  environment,  you  will
probably not like LISTSERV. The VM  version does not require or allow the
user or list  owner to make use  of VM features such  as pipelines, REXX,
etc. The unix version  will behave the same way: the syntax  of all but a
few  commands  and control  files  will  be  the  same, quoting  will  be
accomplished with "  rather than \, there  will be no ability  to put awk
expressions in list header keywords, and so on.

>Personally  speaking,   the  product  will  have   to  demonstrate  some
>significant   and    *measurable*   performance   increase    over   the
>Unix-Listprocessor  system before  I  will be  persuaded  to purchase  a
>Pascal compiler in  order to compile the system. Unless  L-Soft can ship
>pre-compiled binaries,

We will definitely ship tested binaries.

  Eric