Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:53:41 EST
On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:23:00 -0600 Phelan, Howard CPT PHELANH said:
>We have definitely seen this problem and had to change the addresses
>manually in order to avoid sending replies to the "reserved mailbox
>owner-listname".  That was before we switched to a MS Exchange SMTP gateway.
>Now our replies go back OK as long as we "Reply All" . If we just "Reply"
>the message goes only to the person who we are replying to.  This is totally
>independent of how the reply-to is set for the list.  Isn't that wierd?

Well, wait a minute.  If you're talking about how an individual client
handles this, that's strictly up to the client.  LISTSERV can send a
"Reply-To:" header till the cows come home, but if the client doesn't
recognize it and uses the "From:", "Sender:", or even the RFC821 MAIL FROM:
as the reply address, there's not much LISTSERV can do about that.

I thought the complaint was that LISTSERV wasn't setting the Reply-To:
header correctly to begin with, which you can test by simply looking at
the list's archives.  I <know> <that> works properly.

You might want to try IETFHDR in these cases where it doesn't seem to
work on a given client.

Nathan