Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:02:53 -0400
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:08:33 EDT, Francoise Becker said:

> because...? Social engineering is not an effective way to spread
> viruses? It has worked pretty well in the past -- has the general
> Internet population become less gullible since I last checked?

No, because the two main categories of things likely to spread this way are:

1) Automated viruses, which haven't learned how to post themselves via
the Listserv web interface (and probably never will - consider what it says
about the network if *that* becomes an advantageous way to spread a worm).

2) Rogue users posting malware - which again is unlikely to be stopped by
anti-virus scanners (though a *spam* filter can catch most of the phishing
and similar).

Absent any definitive evidence that this happens enough to worry about it, I
have to conclude that "virus via the web interface" is a mostly theoretical
issue, and I'm much better off investing resources dealing with *real*
problems, like the number of users who will click on a URL just because it says
that there's been unexpected activity on their account at the First National
Bank of Dancing Hamsters.....

So has anybody actually *seen* a virus pop through the web interface?