Amy Stinson <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:46:49 -0500
On 23 Apr 2001, at 10:35, Jacob Haller wrote:

> You could have a seperate mailing list of "allowed" users and then set
>
>         Notebook= Yes,[...],ALLOWEDUSERS
>
> where ALLOWEDUSERS is the name of the mailing list with the allowed
> users on it.
>
> It wouldn't be necessary to tell anyone about the existance of the
> ALLOWEDUSERS mailing list; I'd probably set it up with:
>
>         Confidential= Yes
>         Send= Owners,Confirm
>         Subscription= Closed
>         Validate= All,Confirm

That'll keep the non-contributing members out of the archives.  I
don't mind them being in the archives.  I just don't want them to be
able to search them.  I can fix it from the web.  I just can't fix it
from the email side.  Unfortunately, I let people know that they
could do the searches both ways.  Dummy me.

I've run LISTSERV since 1997 with this contribution format.  Now all
I want to do is reward those who do pay with something more than
those that don't pay.  I haven't lost 1 member due to this upcoming
change.  It's not stepped on anyone's toes.

I have considered making the contribution mandantory and quite
frankly would not lose a dime if I did.  I've just been around these
people long enough to know that this will bring more of them around
than if I go mandantory.  And my standing in the community I serve
will not be diminished by doing things the way I'm doing them now and
it could suffer some damage by making it mandantory.

We shall see.
Amy Stinson
Amy's Answers, LLC
LISTHOST.com