Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Sep 2015 10:19:19 -0400
Greetings Listserv admins,

We are running Listserv 15.5 and are thinking of employing rate
limiting, and are having difficulty picking a number. Here are the
numbers we do know:

Our largest list, comprising all faculty, staff and students, has
roughly 70000 subscribers. After someone sent an 8M message to it we
put on a size limit of 1 megabyte.

Our VMWare guru (Listserv is running in a virtual machine) tells me
that pver the last day the peak outbound SMTP was about 2.5 megabytes
per second. This would seem to suggest that the 12 mega-BITS per
second given in the example in Lsoft's description of the feature
would be about right to cut that peak in half. Maybe even less since
it really was an isolated spike. Maybe 8....

However reading further I see that for purposes of this feature
Listserv counts the size of messages by multiplying out the number of
recipients. Given that the peak our VM guru saw would have been data
packed into BSMTP batches of 100 recipients, does that mean we need to
multiply that number by about 100?

Margaret King
IT Services - Messaging
Michigan State University