Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Oct 1991 23:42:22 EST
IBM's concerns about image rather than  quality.  I have high expectations for
computers  and I  am open  minded enough  to recognise  when and  if IBM  ever
develops an innovative computer and operating  system.  The fact of the matter
is that  my expectations  come much closer  to being met  by upstarts  such as
Steve Jobs' Next.  I do not mean to compare a Next to an IBM 3090, but Steve's
company seems  a lot more progressive  in its civilized computer  designs than
IBM has ever been.

While I am  at it, what's with  IBM now marketing risc machines  heavily as if
risc technology is a  new idea.  Sadly, many people gobble  up this stuff just
because IBM's name is on the front.  Companies such as CDC and Hewlett Packard
have had  risc technlogy  for years,  but they  did not  have the  blind sheep
following them that  IBM has.

I can go on and on about why I  dislike IBM, but its getting late now.  By the
way, I acknowledge that IBMs big machines are reliable and sturdy and that IBM
provides  excellent  support  for  long-time  custmers, but  so  did  the  old
tube-filled  radios of  the past  until they  were replaced  by transisterized
radios and televisions.

Stan Horwitz
Listserv Postmaster
Temple University