Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 00:04:47 -0600
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:18:09 +1000, James Hale <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I would like to have a list where one group of subscribers can only
>receive mail, ie they can't post to the list and another group of
>subscribers post BUT NOT receive mail.
>
>Basically this is an ANNOUNCE list where announcements can only be made
>by a large group (in effect another list.)

In the List header of the Student list:

Send= (FACULTY),confirm

where "FACULTY" is the other list.

Note, carefully however that since "spoofing" or forging of the From: address
is trivially easy, the ",confirm" is required so that whoever posts a message
will get back an OK/Confirmation command from LISTSERV, which they must reply
to, to actually allow their message to be sent.  In event of a forgery, a
faculty member will still get the OK/Confirmation, but they should know they
did NOT send the message and thus they should NOT confirm it.  In all cases,
they are STRONGLY advised to double-check and read any message before
approving it.

Although some may complain that the OK/Confirmation process is too difficult,
all I can say is if you don't implement this, the list will be so easily
'hacked' that you might as well set it to Send= Public and learn to enjoy the
resulting chaos.