Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:29:38 -0500
Preferably use the web administration interface to edit the "Standard
message to new subscribers [$SIGNUP]" template for the list in question.
 Or you can GET default.mailtpl, make adjustments, then PUT it as
listname.mailtpl.  Alternatively, copy default.mailtpl to
listname.mailtpl and make your edits there, if you have direct access to
the server filesystem.  If you take the file-level approach, note that
you may omit from listname.mailtpl any individual templates that don't
need customizing for the particular list, and those in the default file
will still be used for that list.  Confer with your site administrator
for more help with the fine details of the process.

As you have observed, the list WELCOME message is sent in addition to
the signup message, so you may want to remove the WELCOME message after
you have adjusted the signup to suit your preferences.

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/11/03 12:28PM >>>
I would like to change the default message that people receive when
they subscribe to a list (the one that starts off with "Please save this
message for future reference, especially if this is the first time you
are subscribing to an electronic mailing list."

It looks like this message is stored in the "default.mailtpl" file.
What is the recommended way to modify this message and can it be
adjusted for an individual list? I added a "welcome" message to my test
list, but this doesn't seem to replace the multiple-paragraph set of
instructions that people receive when they subscribe.

- Steve -