Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:08:05 -0400
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:54:38 EDT, Bill Verity said:

> However, I think the system is running fine.  We processed 67,000
> files yesterday which is a lot but not a record.  As far as I can
> tell, more than 3/4 of that load was garbage.

Can you give a better description of what you were seeing than "3/4 was garbage"?

Do you have any idea where the bottleneck was, exactly?  Between the sending
box and your Listserv's MTA?  Sitting in the Listserv queue? Listserv waiting
to hand off the mail to the outbound MTA (SMTP_FORWARD_1="3*localhost" was a
big win for us there, as was 'FEATURE(nocanonify)' in sendmail.mc).

> If we decide to run spamassasin, that will just require more hardware
> without stemming the flow of incoming junk.

If you're running spamassassin, and it's not stemming the flow of junk,
why would you be running it?  Presumably you'd *do* something with the junk.