Roger Fajman <RAF@NIHCU>
Fri, 03 Oct 86 17:50:35 EDT
I just joined this list, so excuse me if I am repeating something
that has been discussed before.

I do like to receive one confirmation by mail that my message was
received by LISTSERV and broadcast.  I also don't mind one
interactive message to that effect, such as comes from BITNIC's
LISTSERV.  What I don't like is being bombarded by messages, mail and
interactive, from distributed LISTSERVs telling me what they have
done with my message.  Since I don't know where the distributed
LISTSERVs are, those messages are meaningless to me.  If I have to
get the acknowledgements, I would much prefer to get them as mail,
rather than interactive messages.  I choose when to read my mail.

The particular case that moved me to complain was a message to a
BITNIC list, IBM-NETS.  I got the usual confirmation from
LISTSERV@BITNIC, then lots of messages from various distributed
LISTSERVs.  How about turning off the acknowledgements for
redistributions of BITNIC lists?  I don't know if that is possible
with the current distributed LISTSERV software.

I do think the distributed LISTSERV is a good idea, it just has a
rough edge that ought to be smoothed.

Roger