Patrick Douglas Crispen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 08:13:52 CST
Alright, I'll bite ...

I'd really like to know the reasons behind Penn State's and Georgia Tech's
recent decision to turn off (or at least severely curtail) their sites
mail distribution lists. I just can not understand why any site would do this.

It seems to this newbie (who does not know the whole story) that these sites
are taking the "scorched earth" approach to this problem ("We only have
24 modem lines, the lines are always busy, and the people are complaining?
Hell, I have a solution : unplug the mainframe from the wall. That will
make the problem go away real quick.")

   /O O  ./      .'               PATRICK DOUGLAS CRISPEN
  {O__,   \    {                   [log in to unmask]
    / .  . )    \                THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
  '---.~_ _ _&                       Warning: squirrels.