Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:20:46 -0400
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:03:26 EDT, "Tayea, Tamer" said:
> I am trying to migrate listserv 1.8e from WIN2K to Listserv 14.4 on
> linux 3.0 ... Linux uses sendmail, and listserv 14.4 use it as well..
> Since the linux server uses sendmail and sendmail knows how to handle
> the mail..
> Do I need to migrate SMTP_FORWARD , SMTP_FORWARD_1 , FIOC_xxxx , MAXSMTP
> , SITE_CONFIG_XXX from Site.cfg (Win2k) to go.user (in Linux)..?

I'll guessimate that 'Linux 3.0' means 'RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0' (note
that 4.0 update 1 is out, and worth upgrading to).

SMTP_FORWARD and SMTP_FORWARD_1 are useful under Linux, especially for heavy
workloads.  We run with:

# Enable asynchronous SMTP process
SMTP_FORWARD="localhost"
SMTP_FORWARD_1="3*localhost"

We also use MAXSMTP=1000 to help deal with very large postings - this can help
prevent sendmail fork-bombing if you have a list with 60-70K recipients on it.
This works *really* well with Sendmail 8.12's multiple-queue support - if you
run with a large MAXSMTP going *into* sendmail, and then have queues that have
(for instance) R=100 for 100 max recipients, then it will auto-split the
envelopes so you end up with one with *lots* of RCPT TO's for sites that can
handle it, and lots of little ones to keep the total latency down.  Note that
this *does* require some Sendmail config knowledge and isn't for the faint of
heart.  If you don't have many high-activity lists with more than several
hundred subscribers, I'd just nail MAXSMTP=100 and leave it.

Sendmail tuning tip:  FEATURE(nocanonify) in your .mc file will help the
throughput *tremendously* - although it *will* break things if you have users
who expect 'user@mail' to get auto-expanded to [log in to unmask]
I don't have any sympathy for those users anyhow - they were in violation
of RFC2821 when they sent out the non-fully-qualified hostname. ;)

You shouldn't need the FIOC_* ones unless you're memory constrained and/or
the default settings are getting things Very Very Wrong.

Not sure what SITE_CONFIG_xxx does under Win2K, so I can't comment there.