Benjamin Chi <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 00:48:08 EST
On Thu, 3 Mar 1994 15:35:18 -0500 Ted Morris said:
>We have some users who have an immediate need for mail-and-file services
>within the institution and the local area. . .
>LISTSERVs offer the file archiving and mail management services but I
>get the impression that "uploading" to the archives is not as simple as
>in the BBS model. . .

That's true for full-blown "served" files maintained in a FILELIST -- the
FILELIST must be fetched and an explicit entry made in it every time a file
is added to the archives.  But there's another way to use LISTSERV that you
may want to consider:  Subscribe all your users to a list set up for this
purpose, setting the NOMAIL option for everybody.  To "upload" a file to
the archives, just post it to the list.  It will be archived, but not dis-
tributed.  Then use LDBASE to access the archives.  This has the additional
advantage of providing elegant keyword searching capabilities.

Alternately, instead of setting everybody to NOMAIL, set them to INDEX.
Then when a new file is archived, everybody is notified; the topic is even
reported.