Doug Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Aug 1993 20:17:33 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
 Chris Lewis ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

: At about the same time it last happened to you, it also happened to me.
: I started pursuing it, and the upshot was that I got subscribed to the
: LSTSRV-L list.  There was a lively discussion on this, including with
: the author of LISTSERV, Eric Thomas.

: I assure you, this isn't on account of any incompetence on Una's part.

: As I understand it, there are two gateways involved.  One that is gateing
: news into mail, and the second is gating the mail into a LISTSERV list.
: It is the second gateway which is doing the duplicate checks.  The problem
: is that there is no way for the second gateway to tell that the item
: originated on news.

: Eric was indeed interested in coming up with a solution of some sort.
: About the only possible solution seems to be if any two of Newsgroups:,
: Path:, Expires:, Supersedes: is there, the bounce will be suppressed.

I gateway half-a-dozen or so mailing lists into usenet and back for
local reading.

What I do is:

(1) have the mail->news gateway insert an identifiable path component into
the path, and put !component in the newsfeeds (or sys-file, I did it with
C-News too) file to avoid it being sent out by the news->mail gateway.

(2) rather than passing it through inews, I pass the incoming article to
'rnews', which just logs it if it's a duplicate.  I get duplicates on
a regular basis (I carry both [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]
as mailing lists, and at least one person regularly sends mail to both
lists with the same message-ID).  This worked with both C-News and INN.

(3) I set the "envelope" of outgoing news->mail posts to be news@news...
so that bounces and the like wind up in my mailbox, not going back to
usenet or the list.

(4) for "Revised Listserv" lists, I tell LISTSERV to "set header ietf".
I know "proper" interpretation of the RFC's is a religious issue, but
doing this doesn't break any software or introduce unwanted headers.

Your mileage may vary, but I don't get problems with mailing-list loops
(knock on wood).

--
Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center, Youngstown State University
[log in to unmask]    [log in to unmask]     <internet>!cc.ysu.edu!doug