Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 May 1992 23:08:12 EDT
On Fri, 8 May 1992 16:29:41 PDT John Riehl said:
>I have received complaints from listowners (as well as experiencing this
>myself)  that users are attempting to subscribe to lists which are set
>to confidential=yes.  Because of the nature of the lists, these are not
>lists about which anyone would know.  Does confidential=yes mask
>everyone?  It is politically important that NOONE even know about the
>lists.

I have at least two lists here  at Temple which are confidential in that they
are  not known  to anyone  who does  not have  an account  here. Subscription
requests to these lists are redirected  to each list's owner who then decides
whether or  not to let the  person sign up.  Another option is to  allow only
the list  owner to  initiate subscriptions and  all subscription  attempts by
individuals  are rejected  without any  notice going  to the  owner. This  is
described in  the LISTKEYW MEMO which  is widely available.

As far as security  goes, this is as good as it  gets. Putting your sensitive
information on  a network,  be it  through a Listserv  list or  other medium,
involves some security  risk. You cannot have easy access  and high security.
The two are  mutually exclusive. In my humble opinion,  security at the level
you imply isn't worth spending that much  time on since anyone who is on your
sensitive list can  give to his or  her account to anyone they  want and thus
others can  get to your  list fairly  easily. Subscribers who  you presumably
trust  can also  forward mail  from such  a list  to others  who you  may not
trust. There  is nothing  you can  do about this  aside from  taking punitive
action against those individuals who  share your confidential information. Of
course,  you have  to catch  them first.  Minimal security  is the  nature of
Listserv and  of the  entire Internet and  Bitnet networks  where information
sharing is  the intension, not information  hiding. Oops! Sorry for  going on
so long.

Stan Horwitz
Listserv Postmaster
Temple University