SUVM Network Manager <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Mar 1994 14:19:51 LCL
Here's a fun one  to watch out for! Yesterday morning  I noticed that the
mailer @SAU.EDU  was reflecting  mail to  the address  in the  RFC822 To:
line. List postings with ShortBSMTP headers were being sent right back to
the  list with  the only  change  being in  the Received:  lines. No  big
problem since they were being detected as duplicates. The original poster
was being pestered but...

Now it  gets interesting. One of the subscribers @SAU.EDU had  the DIGEST
option set,  and back  it came to  the list. But  apparantly there  is no
checksum in  PERMVARS for digests  so it  wasn't deemed a  duplicate. The
digest was posted to the list  and of course included in the accumulation
of the digest for the new  day. The From: line said [log in to unmask]
but that wasn't caught by  TRAPIN even though TRAPIN contains LISTSERV@*.
There's probably  a good reason for  that that I don't  know.

I stopped  the loop  by deleting  *@*.SAU.EDU from  all lists  and adding
*@SAUNIX.SAU.EDU and *@SAU.EDU to TRAPIN so they couldn't re-subscribe.

Now for  the suggestion box: Put checksums  in PERMVARS for  Digests and
                             Indices  so  they   won't  be  accepted  for
                             posting.

Glenn A. Malling (NETMAN@SUVM) or [log in to unmask]
Syracuse University Computing Services   +1 (315) 443-4111
Machinery Hall  Syracuse, New York 13244-1260