Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:11:18 -0400
We are in the final stages of a project to move our LISTSERV 16 service (2 servers) from Redhat 4 to Redhat 5. New servers have been built and functional testing is complete. We are working to identify the files which must be moved from the old servers to the new servers in order to effectively and correctly migrate existing lists from the old servers to the new servers, and we have encountered a mystery.

The /var/www/html/archives directory contains a subdirectory for each list which has web-accessible archives. It also contains a subdirectory named 'upload'. This directory is required in order to enable list owners to use the List Management web page to import files in order to perform bulk adds and bulk deletes. At least, I thought that was the primary purpose of this directory.

On our main LISTSERV server, the /var/www/html/archives/upload directory contains more than 60K files. The vast majority of the files appear to be list-related, but they also appear to be related to subscriber operations, rather than list owner operations. Appended below is a short list of the directory contents with actual listnames masked. Can anyone tell me how/why these files were created and why LISTSERV is apparently not cleaning up after itself? Are we going to cause problems for LISTSERV if we purge everything more than 1 day old? Do we need to save the *.PERM files? If so, what are they?

=== begin ===
0363438514381876.tmp
0546625886801755.PERM
1707427533939119.tmp