Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Mar 1995 23:35:40 -0500
On Thu, 2 Mar 1995, Stan Horwitz wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Feb 1995 18:35:18 GMT John Stewart said:
> >My personal opinion based on my experience supporting mailing lists
> >(using the Unix Listprocessor software) and as a Usenet News Administrator
> >is that many of the mailing lists which currently exist should be replaced
> >with newsgroups.  Newsgroups are far less of a hassle to support and make
> >more efficient use of network bandwidth and machine resources.

  John, I also support Listserv and Usenet here on campus, and I don't
understand how you can say that Newsgroups make more efficient use of network
bandwidth and machine resources.  In my opinion, we waste 100's of MBs for
1000's of groups that no one reads!  At least Listserv doesn't waste
bandwidth and take up valuable MBs with lists that no reads!  Ok, so
as an admin you put more effort into supporting listserv, but don't
confuse lack of effort with efficient use of bandwidth and machine
resources.  Actually, there isn't much work with Listserv, I won't say
what I've been told about listproc because then I get nasty mail mixed
with a logic only the sender can follow. ;-)

> What people outside of Temple cannot see is that there are dozens of Listserv
> lists  here   which  are  devoted   to  instructional  purposes   within  our
> University. These  lists are used to  by students and instructors  in various
> courses  to discuss  their  course  lectures. The  power  of  Listserv as  an
> instructional tool is  incredible. We also use Usenet for  the same thing and

  I agree!  Our Distance Education Program couldn't survive without it!
This is where Listserv shines above the latest tech in teleconferencing.
The latter assumes that all students are in one of two or three places,
but this is not the case in reality.

> I can  see plenty of  evidence that Usenet  is not as  good a venue  for this
> stuff  as  Listserv.  I  am  not  sure  why  though.  Because  of  Listserv's

  We have had people switch from Usenet to Listserv because they wanted
the functionality that Listserv provides, i.e., various levels of restriction,
archiving, etc.

> business  of education.  Having  Listserv here  at  Temple provides  Temple's
> researchers and  students with  the possibility  of starting  Listserv groups
> here for the benefit of research and scholarly studies that could not be done
> without it. We  even have some faculty who use  Listserv's database functions
> to pull  off groups of  postings (by grading  period) and use  their students
> contributions as part of their grades.  This would not be possible with other
> packages that are similar to Listserv.

  We are also exploring the use of Listserv for the data collection
process...this would be a big plus for researchers who need to collect
large amounts of data from large classes/groups.  It would save them from
having to run to 15 different classes, get permission, hand out their
survey, and all for about 200 subjects.  Listserv could make this process
much more efficient.  We haven't worked out all the bugs yet, because we
would need a record of everyone who subscribed even if they unsub'd so
we could tally credits for participation.

> I have  no vested interest  in Listserv what-so-ever. I  am not one  of those
> mysterious L-Soft  investors nor  does my  job here  depend on  the continued
> availability of Listserv.  As such, I think  I can approach this  issue in an
> objective manner.

  Nor am I...just a satisfied customer in sunny southern Canada.  --Trish
--
Trish forrest
Computing Services, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada.