"Daniel P. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Sep 89 13:32:45 CDT
On Mon, 18 Sep 89 10:03:56 TUR Turgut Kalfaoglu said:
>I would like to transfer a complaint that has been passed to me from
>TREARN's system programmers:
      ... omitted stuff
>With the help of such programs, (like SUPERSET from UAFSYSB, and others)
      ... more omitted stuff

Hmmm.  SUPERSET doesn't do anything special; storage is read via DIAG04
and zapped via the STCP command.  While I sympathize with the situation,
if the afflicted systems had unauthorized users capable of executing DIAG04's
and STCP then they were bound to get stomped on sooner or later.  :-(

The opposite side of the issue re NAD restriction for system tools is the
situation (like ours) wherein the person responsible for the actual
maintenance of VM in general and BITNET-related things in particular isn't
(for whatever reason) the official registered NAD for a site.  This requires
the system maintainer (me) has to waste lots of time making arrangements to
get things done thru the real NAD (not me).  I do try to take steps to
encourage contact with the local NAD by restricting source code for such
tools to access by users with NAD rights, but even if you restrict files
thru this mechanism there any number of ways to thwart the protective
efforts.

Obviously, this very rapidly degenerates into a philosophical argument.
These types of tools are readily available to anybody with the cash and
a couple of blank tapes, so restricting LISTSERV access isn't, IMHO, a
real solution.

Dissenting opinions, anyone?  Or suggestions for a more appropriate forum
for further discussion?

Daniel P. Martin -- Systems Programmer III
University of Arkansas / Department of Computing Services
155 Razorback Road / 237 ADSB
Fayetteville, AR  72701

Disclaimer:  I'm a state employee.  How could you *possibly* construe the
             above text as an opinion?