Jeff Borchers <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 09:03:40 PST
     Dear Listowners and Postmasters;

     Would you be so kind as to consider the attached letter for posting on
     the list(s) you manage if you believe the subject appropriate for your
     members?  We are a non-profit organization (staffed mainly by
     volunteers) seeking to increase our visibility among parties enmeshed
     in environmental conflict.  As you may surmise, this is a very
     difficult national and international "market" to quantify, hence it is
     our hope to rely on your expertise to help reach potential clients.

     With advance appreciation;

     Jeff Borchers ([log in to unmask])
     President, Board of Directors
     The Center for Resolution, Vision, and Change
     803 NW 11th Street
     Corvallis, OR 97330, USA

Subject: Environmental Conflict Resolution
Author:  Jeff Borchers at fsl
Date:    3/8/95 4:53 PM

          Dear listmembers:

          Enclosed is information regarding a new, non-profit
          501(c)(3) organization whose purpose it is to resolve
          environmental conflict.  Although new, The Center for
          Resolution, Vision, and Change (CRVC) has facilitators
          with extensive experience in this area.  If you know of
          individuals, agencies, or other organizations who might
          need our services, please forward this message to them.

          For further information, please do NOT respond to me
          directly nor to this list.  The CRVC's e-mail address can
          be found in the attached announcement.

          Thanks;

          Jeff Borchers
          President, Board of Directors
          CRVC

     ****************   Detach Message Here  *****************

          The Center for Resolution, Vision, and Change

                    "Change, although inevitable, is not
                        insurmountable and must be faced
                                with dignity and hope"

The Center for Resolution, Vision, and Change (CRVC) is a
non-political, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that:

     ----> Provides conflict resolution and land-use planning
           assistance for people struggling with environmental
           or natural resource controversy
     ----> Facilitates meaningful decision-making between diverse
           interest groups
     ----> Assists communities towards ecological sustainability and
           economic health

The CRVC helps people develop a long-range vision based on their
core values, economy, and the ecological sustainability of native
natural resources--be they forested lands, rivers, wildlife, minerals
or scenic beauty.

Our facilitation service uses a multidisciplinary approach to help
parties:

     ---->Uncover fundamental issues
     ---->Brainstorm ideas for approaching complex, economic,
          social and environmental problems
     ---->Make tough choices and cope with often painful change

                        What the CRVC Does

We provide experienced facilitators trained in natural sciences,
economics, and mediation from a broad spectrum of political and
cultural backgrounds who work as a team for a holistic approach to
resolving conflicts.  Two- to three-day forums have been designed to
lead participants through a decision-making process that focuses on
solving problems stemming from:

     ---->Competition for limited resources
     ---->Environmental degradation
     ---->Future plans for a natural resource
     ---->Unanticipated environmental changes
     ---->Opposing cultural values and uses placed upon a natural
          resource

Participants in these public forums include public officials,
government agencies, citizen advocacy groups, individuals,
industrial representatives, property owners, and those others with
tangible interest in the natural resource issues being disputed.

                        The Benefits

     ---->The result is a plan to work for a sufficiency of resources, a
          healthy environment, and a resolution of controversy
          and conflict
     ---->Local economies become more stable because planning is
          based on realistic economic and ecological
          assessments of the resource that replenishes the
          economy
     ---->Community cultural values are defined and articulated,
          focusing awareness on those values
     ---->Facilitation can keep conflicts out of court
     ---->Environmental health is protected for future generations
     ---->A truly democratic process is left in place with improved
               communication among groups, a plan that is
          revisited over time, and a community that is clear
          about its mission of cultural, economic, and
          ecological sustainability

               Today's Challenge is Tomorrow's Opportunity

An important aspect of our facilitation work is a sensitivity to the
unique human issues inherent in planning for change.  Our purpose
is to promote a responsible and harmonious approach to change by
providing a safe, constructive venue for airing differences,
exploring ideas, and communicating needs.  Let us provide the
objective focus for your community's need to grow and adapt in a
positive way.

If you would like to learn more about our services, contact:

          Margaret Puckette, Director
          The Center for Resolution, Vision, and Change
          803 NW 11th Street
          Corvallis, OR 97330
          USA
          (503) 753-8306
          e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Our office will provide information regarding fees, and describe the
preparation needed to invite and prepare participants for a
productive experience.

In addition to facilitation services, we provide training in techniques
of facilitation and mediation for individuals wanting to develop
these skills within their workplace or community.  We also publish
a quarterly newsletter containing information about our work and
articles discussing economic-environmental conflict resolution.

CRVC is a membership-supported organization and gratefully accepts
contributions of services and funding towards our work.  Annual
membership dues are $20 (student), $35 (individual) and $50
(institution).