David Boyes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:11:12 +0000
> Below is an extract from a thread with LSoft tech support.  If you
> are running cc:Mail and LISTSERV 1.8c, you may have experience that
> would help us get to the bottom of this problem.
> With all due respect to LSoft, their response is that this is a
> cc:Mail problem (which it may well be) and the work around that I
> stumbled upon is a "coincidence".  Not a lot of help.

I'm afraid I'd have to concur with Lsoft. cc:Mail by itself is
completely SMTP-illiterate, and LISTSERV is by definition SMTP-only.
The bridge between the two is the cc:Mail SMTP gateway, which is the
only thing that has anything to do with how cc:Mail headers are
created, parsed or otherwise massaged. LISTSERV is coping only with
the output of the gateway; you're coping with the other side of the
gateway.  There are a set of rules in the gateway that determine what
addresses in the SMTP delivery envelope are inserted into what
cc:Mail headers.

Some of how that process happens is triggered by headers present in
the incoming or outgoing messages; it may be instructive to try to
capture a piece of mail that seems to work and compare it with the
intermediate form that the cc:Mail gateway code produces (check with
Lotus support on how to enable debugging in the gateway code -- you
may want to try this after hours as it reduces the performance of the
gateway substantially).

David Boyes