John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 15:12:22 -0400
> Hello folks,
>
> As the plans here start to unfold for changing the domain name of the
> machine that Listserv runs on, the complexity of the project has just
> doubled beyond my comfort zone.  I would appreciate any advice or insight
> based on your experiences in a similar situation.
>
> The plan has now changed to include e-mail address changes for all
> faculty, staff and students at Queen's to [log in to unmask], as well as
> the planned domain name change to LISTSERV.
>
> My question is about the possible appropriate use of aliases.names to
> solve what may be some significant problems, plus any other ideas you
> might have - private replies are also welcome.
>
> Here is the situation currently. We have 2 SUN solaris boxes:
>
> 1. Listserv and all faculty & staff mailboxes are on post.queensu.ca
>     - approx 98% of all List Owner e-mail addresses are
>
> 2. All students are on qlink.queensu.ca
>     - all LISTSERV class mailing list subscribers are
>
> Here is the draft plan sent to me a few days ago for comment regarding
> LISTSERV Services:
>
> 1.  All faculty, staff and student e-mail boxes will be moved to a group
> of SUN boxes running the SUN JES communications suite.  All e-mail
> addresses will change to [log in to unmask]
>
> 2. LISTSERV will stay on post.queensu.ca but the domain name will be
> changed to lists.queensu.ca.
>
> 3. Forwarding will be set up from all post & qlink e-mail addresses to the
> new e-mail addresses of [log in to unmask]   (forwarding is planned to
> stay in effect for many many years)
>
> 4. The proposed solution to handle class mailing lists is to:
> -- add existing qlink e-mail addresses in the Fall
> -- add the new e-mail addresses for all students but set them all to
>     NOMAIL.
>
> My questions are the following:
>
> 1. Would adding post.queensu.ca to LISTSERV's aliases.names file after the
> domain name change to lists.queensu.ca be appropriate in this situation?
>
> If it works the way I think, after the domain change to lists.queensu.ca,
> it should allow List Owners to still Login using their old post.queensu.ca
> List Owner e-mail addresses & passwd in the SignUp files, correct?.  I
> have a feeling someone is going to say No!
>
> The alternative would be to ask all List Owners to add their new
> [log in to unmask] as second owner before the move.  Or write a script to
> add an Owner=line for each existing Owner= with the new address below a
> QUIET: line.
>
> 2. I don't like number 4. on how to handle all LISTSERV class lists but I
> don't see another alternative (see rationale below for why a global
> CHANGE command isn't a solution).
>
> 3. Managing external subscriptions. With the forwarding set up (for many
> years) I do not anticipate problems with external e-mail coming into
> Queen's subscribers who are members of mailing lists "out there".
>
> I do anticipate problems with folks here being able to send e-mail to
> [...]

I would use alias.names to alias qlink.queensu.ca  and  post.queensu.ca  to
queensu.ca. This will then take care of all subscribers and Owners when the
change takes place. In other words, no one will need to do anything.
http://www.lsoft.com/regaliases.html

As far as LISTSERV, just change NODE in the site configuration to
lists.queensu.ca. You will want to add post.queensu.ca  under MYDOMAIN.
This will then allow posts to [log in to unmask] to be accepted for
[log in to unmask] Make sure DNS points lists.queensu.ca  and
post.queensu.ca to same and proper IP address of LISTSERV. You'll also want
to register your new NODE name:
http://www.lsoft.com/products/regform.asp