Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:43:48 -0400
At 12:13 8/17/2006 Thursday, Patrick B. O'Brien wrote:
>I'm trying do more clearly understand the rights of the owner, editor
>and the moderator.
>
>I know the owner holds all of the rights the moderator and editor hold.
>Also, if you are a moderator, you should be an editor.
>
>But what about the editor, how are those rights different from the
>owner?
>
>How are the editor's rights different from the moderator?

Briefly:

the owner is list-god and can change the list definition, submit mail for distribution w/o moderation.

Typically, the editor is (are) one who submits items to the list; the moderator (who is often an editor) is the one who approves items after someone (other than an editor) submits an item to the list.

Because of the mix n' match nature of the list roles (some of which are implicit), at times it gets confusing.  The EDITOR can be explicitly defined by RFC822 address, a list denoted by parens, or subscribers who have the status of EDITOR set by a list-owner.

/Pete Weiss
editor, moderator, owner, subscriber (in various combiniations) of various and sundry lists