Peter Furmonavicius <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Oct 1990 12:45:18 EDT
>Sending the file  and not logging it  is contrary to the  interest of the
>membership, because  the information  is basically lost  and will  not be
>available  for further  reference. It's  like mailing  the original  of a
>contract  to someone  because  the photocopier  is  not working,  without
>having made  any arrangement  with that person  for getting  the original
>back in due time.
Eric, either I didn't explain myself clearly enough the first time or you
didn't understand what I was saying.  Again,

1) Right now when the log disk is full the file is not sent to the members
   of the list while awaiting the postmaster to discover that the problem
   has occurred and until the postmaster has fixed the disk full condition.
   In other words, just because a disk is full, no mail is sent out to the
   list's membership.  Presumably (hopefully), the postmaster will the take
   some appropriate action.

2) All I was saying was to have listserv send out the file to the list's
   membership, but then to inform the postmaster etc. etc. to do whatever
   is normally done to correct the disk full condition.  Now the Postmaster
   would only have to make sure that the file was logged, they wouldn't
   have to worry about sending it out.

3) The only difference between what is done now, and what I propose, is that
   the list mail gets through to list members, quickly and on time.