"Jeffrey Schornick[CONTRACTOR]" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 May 2001 13:18:00 -0700
I've recently made the plunge into ListServ administration, which has
been a rather frustrating experience.  Occasionally things seem to go
well, but there's always that one outstanding issue...

Here's the latest of my concerns:  I recently upgraded our Solaris
ListServ software to the latest release, both the common and
precompiled binary distributions.  The upgrade went fine, and all was
well until I received a message from irate list owner...  It seems
that her group has a number of links within on-line documentation
which link to specific messages within our archives.  Here example to
me was the following link (modified):

  http://a.b.c.d/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0104&L=some-list&F=&S=&P=3533

This link now returns the following error:

  Error - invalid index file

  The format of the index file is invalid. Please try again in
  about 30 seconds, and report the problem if it persists for
  more than a few minutes.

...which is not entirely true.  The index file is available, readable,
and accessible through interactive use of the web interface.  However,
it seems that the final parameter "3533" is no longer legal.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation??  Is linking to a
specific message unsupported, as indices are often rebuilt?  What
exactly does that final parameter refer to??

Thanks in advance for *any* help on this issue...

 - Jeff