"Gartner, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:08:15 -0400
That's what I thought they were, which is why I was confused by the

softbounces I got.

SOME of them were the non-permanent (like 4.4.6 errors), but I also got

a bunch in the 5.x.x range.

Here are more examples that are in that 5.x.x range:

SOFTBOUNCE [log in to unmask] 5.1.0 Unspecified; unknown or unusual error

code

SOFTBOUNCE [log in to unmask] 5.6.1 554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by

Remote Host

The unknown user errors are strange:

SOFTBOUNCE [log in to unmask] 5.0.0 550 5.1.1 <[log in to unmask]>... User unknown

SOFTBOUNCE [log in to unmask] 5.0.0 550 5.1.1 <[log in to unmask]>... User unknown

BOUNCE [log in to unmask] 5.1.1 Mailer mail02.COLOHFA.ORG said: "550

5.1.1 User unknown"

Could it be that some mail servers are responding with a non-standard

response which the listserv interprets as NOT being fatal errors?

Thanks,

Jim