Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 00:20:22 +0200
On Sun, 19 Nov 1995 17:05:53 -0500 Paul Graham <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>i assumed (perhaps foolishly) that the
>``1 job (6 rcpts)''
>were the
>distribute jobs sent to other hosts and that the
>``6 outbout files (421 rcpts)''
> were the jobs handed to my smtp transport.

Yes, that's correct. It wasn't clear from your message that you were only
counting the second part.

>in any  case, do  the listserv.log entries  represent the  same counters
>used to compute the posted listserv stats?

Yes and  no. The  stats are  produced from  usage counters  that LISTSERV
maintains internally and checkpoints to disk regularly. These counters in
turn are updated  from the figures you  see in the log  and from whatever
other occurrences make  sense for this particular counter.  Note that the
sendmail log stats  would be higher than the figures  reported in the top
20  stats  because they  account  for  all  mail generated  by  LISTSERV,
including replies to  users, jobs to other servers sent  as encoded mail,
etc. The top  20 stats in question only measure  bulk mail delivery. But,
of course, for planning purposes what you really want to know is how much
mail  was delivered  by  your  machine, so  the  sendmail  logs are  more
accurate in this respect.

  Eric