"John L. Mottl" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:07:08 -0500
I have only one list, but it is a very active one.  We are setup in
listserv to unsubscribes users after 3 days of no deliveries, or over 200
bounceback messages, or over 30 failed probes.   So I generally ignore
these errors, since listserv will clean them out or they can clear out
there mailbox.

I don't have the time to chase each of these down, so I let listserv do it
for me.  (hear that Nathan, there are some very good parts of listserv)

John Mottl
American Ceramic Society

On 12/12/00 at 11:20 AM the talented Pete Weiss
offered the following discourse in a most eloquent manner:

>At 22:29 12/11/2000 Monday, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
> >On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:32:51 EST, Karl Signell <[log in to unmask]>
said:
> >> As Postmaster for all LISTSERV lists at cpcug.org, I received two
error
> >> messages today about two different subscribers to the same ISP.  Good
idea
> >> to delete both from all cpcug.org lists?  Here's the first error
message,

> >Not a good idea, unless it appears that the user has pulled an Elvis and
> >left the building without unsubscribing.  Users get *really* torqued off
> >if somebody sends them a big attachment on Friday, they go over quota
for
> >the weekend, they read their mail down on Monday and get under quota,
> >and then Monday afternoon some hot-headed list admin unsubscribes them
> >for being over quota. ;)
> >
> >Trust me - it's really embarassing when you accidentally do this to
> >one of your organization's vice presidents. ;)
> >
> >If they've *stayed* over quota for a week or so, I'd unsub them or at
> >least do a 'set nomail' for them.
>

>Sometimes, depending upon circumstances, I'll:
>
>1) foward a bounce to the subscriber
>
>2) SET NOMAIL/NOPOST
>
>3) delete
>
>4) rarely, if not already, SET DIGEST
>
>Each has its place depending upon highly contextualized experience e.g.,
>lurkers from a "free" email service normally get UNSUBSCRIBED by me.
>
>YMMV.
>
>/Pete

and that is what Pete Weiss said.