Bob Jackiewicz 312-413-1258 <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 14:36:17 -0600
Eric Thomas ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

: >My first point of confusion is LISTSERV 1.8b vs. LISTSERV-TCP/IP:
: >Can I continue with what I have or will I have to procure the
: >TCP/IP version?

: The NJE version requires RSCS, so you  will need to upgrade to the TCP/IP
: version.

What does "requires RSCS" mean? Is it that you just need an RSCS server,
or does it also need to be connected to the outside world? And if so, why?
Wouldn't distributes be handled via SMTP? Or is this the basis of the NJE
version, that distributes are handled via NJE? Wouldn't :newnode take
care of this distribution problem?

: >Based on the following extract from announcement of LISTSERV
: >1.8b May 1995 can I now safely use the NEWNODE tag to begin
: >address conversion?

: The problem CREN refers to is that the ':newnode.' tag causes LISTSERV to
: internally convert  all NJE  addresses for  the node  in question  to the
: specified Internet  form.

What about BITNET nodes which are subscribed to our lists? Does :newnode
work both ways, ie other ListServs turn our node into InterNet style, and
we turn other nodes to InterNet style? What about BITNET nodes which don't
have InterNet aliases? Also, what about owners who have BITNET style
addresses on lists? Do they also get changed?

(aside) If I want to move a VM list to a Unix ListServ, and some owners and
subscribers are in the BITNET form, will they be converted automatically to
InterNet nodes?

: When making  this change for the  node LISTSERV
: runs  on, you  will have  a problem  if you  are using  the NJE  version,
: because it is not designed to handle  a situation where the local node is
: not a NJE nodeid (with LISTSERV-TCP/IP this will work fine).

I don't understand this last paragraph. I think you're talking about the
value 'node' in LOCAL SYSVARS. Isn't this obtained using the ID command? If
so, won't that always return an NJE node value?

--
Bob Jackiewicz            UIC Academic Computer Center           [log in to unmask]
University of Illinois at Chicago                            Network Services