Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:46:58 EST
On Sun, 18 Jan 1998 16:58:19 -0500 Alan S. Dobkin said:
>In an attempt to reconfigure our LISTSERV node name this afternoon, I
>caused a "message is coming from self" error (see below).  Several
>messages like this were then generated:
>
>> An error occurred while processing file 2446270 from
>> [log in to unmask]: "message is coming from self". Since this
>> error is likely to be correctable, the original message has been
>> transferred to [log in to unmask] to make it easier to
>> resubmit the message once the problem has been corrected.
>
>The body of the message contained the forwarded message in question, which
>consisted of a LISTSERV job.  So, I reset the node name back as it was,
>which caused the error messages to stop.  However, since it seemed like I
>needed to take some action to process these messages, I began forwarding
>the included jobs in each, one by one, back to our LISTSERV.  However,
>this generated another error message for each, which I don't understand:
>
>> [log in to unmask] sent a DISTRIBUTE job that did not pass the security
>> checks.  Job 2446270 ("H-ALBION MAILDIST")  transferred to
>
>What are these "security checks" and what should I do about this?

You can't just forward these back to LISTSERV.  You should try renaming the
.ERROR files in the spool back to .JOB and see if LISTSERV accepts them now
that you've changed the node name back.  You'll see that you have .ERROR
files that correspond to the file number in each message you got.

When you reconfigure the node name you need to re-register the server with
us immediately.  Since your registration is for LISTSERV.CC.EMORY.EDU this
is why the DISTRIBUTE jobs were bouncing.

Nathan