Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:34:11 +1000

>    This first appeared a month or so ago when I was showing a new
> owner how to use the web interface (we're still on 1.8d, IIS4).
> We tried using her MS IE browser but the URL for
>    http://listserv.nodak.edu/scripts/wa.exe?LMGT1
> was rejected with an "invalid parameter" error.  I noticed in the
> "Address:" field that the LMGT1 had been changed to lower case!

Marty

I read your post with interest.  I, too, have noticed this behaviour but it
seemed at the time to be an isolated incident.  I saw it with Opera v5.x but
it went away when v6 was released.  Unfortunately since we're dealing with
MS IE here the solution may not be easy.  There have been innumerable IE
fixes, patches, and updates, often changing or adding 'features' that users
are not aware of.  There's also the issue email MUAs (as per your post); add
in other factors such as proxy servers and web servers and it gets messy.

Having done a quick trawl through Google, both the regular search and Google
Groups, it appears that this hasn't been addressed in particular so there
isn't likely to be a quick answer.  I've posted a message on Microsoft's own
public discussion list (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.browser)
but since it's still the weekend for the majority of the world I'm not
expecting an answer in a hurry.  I'll keep you posted if I get one.

I can say, from a web developer's point of view, that it makes good practice
to always use lowercase for everything that gets sent via http.  It just
helps to aviod confusion with non-compliant or buggy browsers.
(What?? MS non-comliant? ;-)

You're correct in that URLs should be transparently sent without case
modification, both by the browser and through a proxy, and the RFCs that
guide http 1.0 & 1.1 don't specifically disallow mixed case but the majority
of the specifications mandate lowercase-only.  L-Soft have shown that they
are highly standards-compliant; why they chose to buck the trend and create
an application that requires uppercase commands only is anyone's guess.
Maybe someone from L-Soft can comment.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.