Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 Nov 1990 10:03:07 EST
On Wed, 21 Nov 90 08:52:15 EST Chuck Kesler said:
>>I realize that whenever a person subscribes to my list (DEAF-L@SIUCVMB)
>>LISTSERV sends that person a message indicating that they have been added
>>to the list and gives instructions on unsubscribing from the list.  What
>>I would like to do, however, is in addition to that initial message
>>from LISTSERV have a "welcoming" message from myself automatically go
>>out to all new subscribers.  Presently I do this for each individual
>>subscriber, but I would like to arrange things so that it is done
>>automatically by LISTSERV without requiring any time or effort on my
>>part.  Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this (if it can be done)???
>
>With a hint from Eric, I was able to set something like this up for one
>   of my list owners a couple of weeks ago.  Here's what you can do:

(...) Omitted lines describing creating an exec to send info file...

>3. Create a TEST-L MAILFORM, if you haven't already, which contains
>   a replacement for :$SIGNUP.  You can do this by getting $DEFAULT
>   MAILFORM from Listserv and editting everything out except for
>   :$SIGNUP.
>
>4. At the end of the :$SIGNUP section, add the following line:
>
>   'TEST$MSG(destination)'
>
>   where TEST$MSG is the name of an EXEC you created in step 1.

Instead of adding the exec at this point, why not just edit the file to
put the information you want in this file.  Now, it gets sent to the new
user by listserv when they subscribe.  One message, with all the information
instead of two files...

>5. Store the updated TEST-L MAILFORM back on Listserv.

Don't forget to update the list header to point the Language= parameter
to TEST-L

>That should do the trick.  If I've made any obvious or not-so-
>obvious mistakes, feel free to correct me.
>
>Chuck Kesler
>VM Systems Programmer
>North Carolina State University Computing Center

Harold C Pritchett         |  BITNET:  HAROLD@UGA
BITNET TechRep             |    ARPA:  [log in to unmask]
The University of Georgia  |
Athens, GA 30602           |    fido:  1:370/60
(404) 542-3135             |     Bbs:  SYSOP at (404) 354-0817