Peter Molnar <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Nov 1993 22:08:08 EST
On Mon, 01 Nov 93 21:40:51 EST A. Ralph Papakhian said:
>Vern, Peter,
>Hi. Is there any chance this would work on our system in order
>to tell if files are being retrieved? --ralph papakhian
>
>*GO*   Cordially, forever more,
>*!!*   A. Ralph Papakhian, Music Library (Co-Listowner for MLA-L@IUBVM)
>*IU*   Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
>       (812) 855-2970  [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
>Date:    Sun, 31 Oct 1993 20:47:15 EST
>From:    Ben Chi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Any way to check frequency rates of access with fileserver?
>
>On Sun, 31 Oct 1993 14:35:45 EST Jeff Findlay said:
>>I would be curious to know if there is any way of finding or getting listserv
>>to acknowledge when the fileserver has been accessed by a subscriber?  I've
>>put a lot of work into creating the fileserver, and it is frustrating to me
>>not to know whether it's being used.  . .
>
>One way to do this is to cause the following GETLOG EXEC to be executed when-
>ever a file is sent to a recipient:
>------------------------------GETLOG EXEC-------------------------------
>/* This File access validation exit logs user GET requests.           */
>/* It was modified 4/1/92 at the suggestion of R N Hathhorn (SYSMAINT@
>PCCVM) to bypass any AFD flags associated with the file.              */
>
>tellme = <your_userid>
>ADDRESS COMMAND
>ARG , req origin filelist . "*" fn ft remainder
>IF req ^= "GET1" THEN EXIT 0
>IF fn = "/" | ft = "D/" THEN PARSE VAR remainder fn ft .
>entry = DATE("U") TIME() LEFT(filelist,8) LEFT(fn,8) LEFT(ft,8) origin
>"EXECIO 1 DISKW" fn "GETLOG A1 0 (VAR ENTRY FINIS"
>CALL DIAG 8,"MSGNOH" tellme "LISTSERV sent" fn ft "from" filelist,
>  "library to" origin"."
>EXIT 0
>--------------------------------CUT HERE--------------------------------
>The exec is caused to be executed by modifying entries in the FILEID
>file by appending to each line the command "GETLOG" or, equivalently,
>changing the second line of the file to look something like
>
>*DEFAULT* X5/200 GETLOG

>NETLOG (on LISTSERV 191) and also a message sent to the userid designated at
>the top of the exec.
>                                             /b
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Sun, 31 Oct 1993 23:58:01 EST
>From:    fast fish <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Any way to check frequency rates of access with fileserver?
>
>> The exec is caused to be executed by modifying entries in the FILEID
>> file by appending to each line the command "GETLOG" or, equivalently,
>> changing the second line of the file to look something like
>>
>> *DEFAULT* X5/200 GETLOG

>> NETLOG (on LISTSERV 191) and also a message sent to the userid designated at
>> the top of the exec.
>
>Thanks! Could you show me how that looks in your typical filelist
>(correct spacing would be helpful too).
>
>Jeff
>
>------------------------------

> [...]

Ralph,

Sorry for not responding to this sooner -- I was hoping for more positive
LISTSERV feedback and "full-support" for it.  I guess that was just
wishful thinking.

Anyway, to get to the point, Yes, this could certainly be done on our
machine.  I'm really swamped with the Paragon right now, and don't have
time to implement it.  I think Vern has been pretty busy, too.  We
have both been told to virtually halt our time spent on LISTSERV except
for the most necessary bare bones maintenance, pending the outcome of
the LISTSERV study (to be concluded in Feb or Mar).

I will be taking a couple of weeks off the last two weeks in December.
If you still want this installed, send me a nag then and I'll work
on it while I'm visiting my folks in Cleveland (it'll give me something
"constructive" to do).  :-)

Peter