Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:51:53 -0400
I'm not clear on how autodelete works:

In Auto-delete=yes,semi-Auto,delay(4),max(10):

how does "delay" work.  I assume the number is number of contiguous days.  When the first bounce occurs, an entry is made into the listname.autodel file so they can be monitored.  Then what?

1. Is this entry removed from the autodel file on the 4th day if no more errors have happened.  That is, does monitoring stop 4 days after the most recent bounce?

2. Suppose one error happens every day for the next 3 days.  Is the subscriber removed from the list on the 4th day.

3. Suppose 12 errors happen on the next day.  Is the subscriber removed based on the "max(10)" setting?

4. Suppose an error happens every 5th day.  The subscriber will never get removed, right?

5. So on a list that gets one message per week,  if you want to remove a subscriber if they bounce two weeks in a row, you should code delay(8) or perhaps delay(9) in case the bounce message takes a while?

6. On a related note, what is the format of the .autodel file?  It looks like

fqdn-address first-date another-date seq-number prose

For example,

user@node 730637 730637 1 User unknown

What is the format of the date values?  I think the above number is 6/1/2001.
What is another-date?
Is seq-number just that?  Doesn't seem to start a 1.  I have one .autodel file where is starts at 472.