"Steven P. Roder" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Apr 1994 09:40:23 EDT
On Wed, 27 Apr 1994 09:34:36 -0400 Adam Floro said:
>How does one "turn on" the "Digest feature".  I know about the
>SET listname DIGEST command.  But this is being rejected by
>LISTSERV for this particular list.  And the listowner wishes not
>to get involved in making changes to the list header.  Is
>it a list header keyword that I'm missing?  Something like
>DIGEST=ON or what?  I can't seem to find anything in the
>online documentation. :)
Adam,

     Yes, it is a list header option.  Fron the 17F release notes:

The syntax of the  keyword is "Digest= Yes,where,frequency,when,max" when
digests are enabled, or then "Digest= No". The second parameter is a disk
or  directory specification,  just as  with the  "Notebook=" keyword,  or
"Same", which means  that the digest must  be stored on the  same disk as
the list archives.  The third parameter is either  "Daily" (the default),
"Weekly" or "Monthly". The third parameter is optional and specifies when
the  digest is  to be  actually distributed.  For daily  digests, specify
'hh:ss' or just  'hh' in the usual  00-23 scale (24 is  also accepted for
midnight). For weekly  digests, specify a weekday such  as "Tuesday". For
monthly digests, you  may specify a number from 1  to 31 corresponding to
the day of  the month when the digest will  be distributed, although this
is not recommended.  The purpose here is to make  it possible for digests
to be issued at mid-month rather than on  the first of the month - if you
code a  number larger  than 28,  you may  not get  a digest  every month.
Finally, the last and optional  parameter takes the form "Size(nnnn)" and
specifies  the maximum  size  the digest  is allowed  to  reach before  a
"special issue" is cut. Bear in mind that most unix systems do not accept
messages larger than 100 kilobytes, so  values larger than 1500 should be
avoided. The default is to have virtually no limit - 10,000 lines.

     If is unfortunate that the owner does not want to make changes to the
list header, as that is one of a list owners responsibilities.  Does the
owner give reasons for not wanting to do this?

Steve
([log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask] | (716)645-3564)