KEVIN MCKENZIE <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:39:02 -0500
Erik,

If you will look at the page 113 of the list owners manual, which is the
one that I am thinking you are talking about it might make some sense to
you.  The titles of the two categories are 1st position and 2nd Position,
the 1st position are the List, Sender, Both or a Netaddress.  The 2nd
postion is the Respect or Ignore action.  So when it says in the HEADER of
a file * REPLY-TO: SENDER, IGNORE.  It means that 'SENDER' is in the first
position, and 'IGNORE' is in the second postion of the command.  So since
the ignore command is used it means that when someone replys to the message
it will goto the LIST and not the sender's preset REPLY TO address in their
particuliar mail client, which ever they may be using.  This is done
because some mail clients don't transfer the REPLY TO options that well, so
an owner might do this to force the list to ignore the 'reply to' field
sent by the individuals mail client and to reply to the list.  At least
this is the way that I read it and understand it.

P.S.  Make sure when you look at the List Owners manual above that you look
at the actual page I gave you that is printed on the bottom of the page and
what adobe acrobat reader says is the page number.  They are a little
different.