Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 May 1996 14:51:37 EDT
Hello;

A problem  with backups  on the  Listserv here  has just  been brought  to my
attention. Apparantly, our backup procedure  isn't reliable where Listserv is
concerned. We're running  Listserv-NJE for VM version 1.8b.  This Listserv is
currently home to  about 230 different lists, many of  which can be extremely
active during  peak semester periods.  About 90% of  the lists here  are also
configured to maintain  notebooks. The notebooks reside mostly  on a separate
minidisk, not the 191 that Listserv uses.  We also use VMBackup as our backup
software.

How  do you  Listserv postmasters  at other  sites who  run Listserv  in this
configuration handle backing  up the table files and the  actual lists' files
themselves? I  was just  told by  one of the  people who  runs the  system on
which we run Listserv that if we were to shut Listserv down to back it up, it
would be down for  several hours so shutting our Listserv down  to back it up
isn't an option for us as far as I can see.

Any thoughts on this matter will definitely be appreciated.

Stan Horwitz
Listserv Postmaster
Temple University
Acknowledge to: OASIS@TEMPLEVM (or VM.TEMPLE.EDU)