Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:26:14 -0400
On Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:32:12 +1000, you said:
> Is there some way I can send a message to every list member on every list on
> my site without having to create (and maintain) a superlist with each of all
> of the lists set as sublists? I want the same functionality as a superlist
> i.e. members of multiple lists only get one copy of the message.

Hmm.. Been there, done that.   I'm speaking as  one of the people  who
has to support one of  the most heavily online  universities in one of
the most heavily online towns (about70%) in the US...

I'm  about 98% positive  that this isn't what  you want, unless you're
one of the lucky  sites that has absolutely  *NO* non-local lists.  ;)
Things to consider:

1) You  want  to make  sure  you have an  "exclude"  capability.  Most
servers have  at least one or two  lists with non-local  people on it,
who  will be   either  confused or upset  by   what they will  rightly
percieve as spammage.

2) You want to  make sure that your  mail  server has the  capacity to
swallow what you  are about to  hand it.   If  we tried this  locally,
you'd be looking  at some 80,000  recipients - guaranteed to give  all
but  the  most  incredibly   testosterone-laden   mail  servers severe
indigestion.

3) You want to think  about the *timelyness*  of the information,  and
whether  some other  method would   work   better.  For  instance,   a
corporate printed newsletter may be a better idea.  Locally, we do not
send mail globally for  timely  information such as  inclement weather
closings   -   the information   is sent    via  e-mail  and  phone to
departmental secretaries, who then forward it on to their departments.

4)  You  want to  think  about  whether  "all  users on all  lists" is
*really*  the list of people that  you want to be  sending to.  Often,
your   *real* criteria  is "all   students  in  Engineering", or  "all
salaried staff" or  "all employees likely to  be at  work on Tuesday".
If  the information    to   be posted  is  "parking    lot  closed for
resurfacing, find another way to get  to work", you risk upsetting the
employee with a  car who isn't  on any of  your lists.  You may have a
much better shot at getting the  information to *all* the right people
by feeding an  extract of a corporate  database  to DISTRIBUTE, unless
you have some way of being *sure* that the target audience is a member
of *some* list.   And in that case,  just mailing to *that* list would
be much more efficient....

Having  said  all that, the  easiest/fastest  way  would probably be a
little Perl program that grovelled through all the listname.LIST files
and got  all the addresses,  did some preliminary filtering,  and then
built a  DISTRIBUTE job for  submission.  Locally, we usually  do some
database trawling from  our CSO or Oracle  databases, and feed that to
DISTRIBUTE.

And whatever you do,  make sure you have  somebody else picked out  to
take the heat for the inevitable complaints of spam.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer