Lewis Noles <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 May 2017 14:40:20 +0000
Good Morning,

We currently have reports from three list owners about Spam bypassing Editors.  All the editors report that no one authorized to confirm messages actually confirmed those spam messages the configuration of these lists are as follows:

1.

* Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm,All

* Review= Owner

* Errors-to= Owner

* Notify= Yes

* Ack= Yes

* Reply-to= Sender

2.

* Subscription= By_Owner

* Review= Owner

* Send= Editor,Hold

* Editor= [log in to unmask]

* Reply-to= Sender

* Errors-to= Owner

* Notify= Yes

* Ack= No

3.  The third one is a super list with keyword files, so I do not what its Editor settings are yet.  I think this what they are:

* -- Edited lists keywords: these headers are used in all moderated CAES Extension lists

*

* Send= Editor,Hold

* Editor= [log in to unmask]  ( Teri Berryman )

* Editor= [log in to unmask]  ( Adele Shiver )

* Editor= [log in to unmask]       ( Chris Adcock )

* Editor= [log in to unmask] ( Brenda Rodgers )

* Moderator= All,[log in to unmask]

* Moderator= [log in to unmask]

* Moderator= [log in to unmask]

* Moderator= [log in to unmask]

List # 1 has had 3 spam message go through since yesterday and the Owner/Editor swears he did not confirm anything.  He is running a computer with Windows Defender and he uses Mozilla Thunderbird for mail processing.  He did note that Thunderbird updated to a new version very recently.

List # 2 - I have not heard back from the List Owner/Editor yet.

List # 3 - The technical rep verified that none of the listed editors or moderators approved the Spam message.  They use some version of Outlook.

As soon as I get with one of our Linux Admins, I will go through yesterday's log and today's log to see what I can find out.

I checked with our Security Office and none of the security products used verifies URLs in emails.

Thank you,

Lewis

Lewis Noles

Information Technology Professional