Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 10 Apr 1987 09:31 SET
  Supelec has rejected my  complaint and refused to move me  to the CS section
in Paris. The reason is, I guess, that  I have no reason to complain as I have
been assigned  to a computer-related  section, and  a computer is  a computer.
What makes me angry is that two people  were moved to the CS section who had a
lower ranking than mine in CS. I don't mean REAL CS ability but the 'OFFICIAL'
rankings (the one which has little to  do with CS and relates to linear filter
design,  etc). But  then  they had  not been  assigned  to a  computer-related
section. In other words, if I had managed to insult a few examinators so as to
get a few  extremely bad marks, I  would have been assigned to  a section like
high-energy power-transformers, would have been allowed to complain, and would
have been sent to  the CS section in Paris. What has  always impressed me with
this school is the way they take advantage of people's competences.

  I am therefore  presented with two possibilities: leave the  network for one
year, or leave the school. I will  most probably opt for the latter, unless of
course I  don't get any  interesting job offer. The  big problem I'll  have to
solve is that being french,  I owe 1 year of my life to  the army which I will
have to 'pay' when I terminate my  studies. Without diploma I won't be allowed
to enter the "scientific" military service, and this means being paid
$50/month (that is fifty,  not a typo) to carry stones on  your back, wash the
floor and perform similarly enthralling tasks for the Nation.

  Eric