Turgut Kalfaoglu <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 31 Dec 1993 10:05:27 TUR
On Thu, 30 Dec 1993 17:15:33 CET  Hermann Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
had said:

>Hi,
>is there a 'cook book' for the migration LISTEARN to LISTSERV? So far I
>have all new rograms/files on one disk. What is the next step to do?

Hermann: If you want, I can do the migration for you, it's one of my
tasks for EARN. If you want to do it by yourself, David Sitman has
written a such cookbook. Since it's not too long, I'll include it,
but it's also available via GET L-MIGRA MEMO command to

Regards, -turgut

How to Migrate from LISTEARN to LISTSERV

This document is intended to be a supplement to the Revised LISTSERV
Installation Guide.  It is intended for sites which are currently
running the LISTEARN software, and are now switching to Revised LISTSERV
1.7f.

This document covers various points of interest to LISTEARN sites which
are not covered in the regular LISTSERV documentation. It is organized
as a set of points to be followed during the migration process.

1. The first point is that you MUST read the LISTSERV installation
manual before you start the migration process. The installation manual
will tell you all you need to know about normal LISTSERV installation.
Migration will follow installation of the LISTSERV software.

2. The new LISTSERV should be loaded onto a separate userid and not on
top of LISTEARN. This way, you can keep your server running and working
until you are sure that installation of the new server has been
successful. So, you should set up a userid (eg, LSV17F) for the new
server.

3. Install LISTSERV by following the instructions in the installation
manual. You will receive the installation manual in the LISTSERV
software shipment.

4. You should be able to move all disks other than 191 to the new
server, as well as local files from the 191 disk, as long as you pay
attention to the notes and exceptions listed in the following points.
There are many files that should be copied from LISTEARN to LISTSERV
in order to preserve the lists, files parameters, personal options,
etc., that have been added over the years to your LISTEARN. Many of the
files can be copied as is, but there are various files that have to be
adapted or changed for LISTSERV. Here are the files that can be copied
with no changes:

* FILELIST   (all FILELIST files)
* FILEID     (all FILEID files)

5. The LIST files can be copied, but some changes may be necessary, as
LISTSERV has stricter parameter checking than LISTEARN. Here are the
parameters that you should give particular attention:

FORMCHECK - this parameter does not exist in LISTSERV. It should be
removed.

RENEWAL - the default for this parameter in LISTSERV is NONE, that is,
no confirmation is requested from list members. In LISTSERV, if you want
to have membership confirmation, you must add this parameter to the list
file.

SUBSCRIPTION=...,CONFIRM - this is a handy new addition to LISTSERV.
This means that subscribers must respond to a confirmation request in
order to complete the subscription process. It is highly recommended
for high-volume lists with open subscription (ie, change
"Subscription= Open" to "Subscription= Open,Confirm").

6. MAILFORM and WELCOME files. MAILFORM files (other than $DEFAULT
MAILFORM, of course) can be copied. In addition, LISTSERV now supports
owner-controlled * WELCOME files. See the LISTSERV documentation for
details on WELCOME.

7. In the current version of LISTSERV, the information from SIGNUP FILE
and from the file of user passwords, PWLIST FILE, has been consolidated
into one file called SIGNUP2 FILE. An exec, LSV$CNV, is available to
create a SIGNUP2 FILE from the old SIGNUP and PW files. To get this exec,
send the command:   GET LSV$CNV EXEC   to [log in to unmask]

8. There are slight differences in the format of the * STATS files. The
abovementioned EXEC will also convert STATS files.

9. Note that the AFDLIST FILE and FUILIST FILE can be copied, but that
the move will cause a 'refresh' to be performed. This means that files
(for AFD) and notifications (for FUI) will be sent for all subscriptions.

10. If you have a LOCALCMD FILE with local LISTSERV commands referenced
in it, you can copy the LOCALCMD FILE and HELPFILE, but make sure that
your local commands are, indeed, compatible with LISTSERV. Local user
exits (LSV$xxx) and local additions to WAKEPARM FILE should also be
checked for compatibility before being transferred.

11. NEWLIST EXEC, written by Eric Thomas, has been included with the
software shipment. It is useful for systems which are highly cpu-loaded
that run a lot of lists.

12. Update your site's entry for PEERS NAMES (using the form in the
software shipment) and send it to Eric Thomas <ERIC@SEARN>. You should
also verify that the version of PEERS NAMES in the shipment is up-to-
date. If not, you should order an updated version from [log in to unmask]

13.Join LSTSRV-L at SEARN. This is the discussion list for LISTSERV
maintainers. You should also join LSTERN-L at FRMOP11, if you are not
already subscribed. Migration from LISTEARN to LISTSERV will be
discussed on the LSTERN-L list.

14. What's missing from LISTSERV:

The SHOW USER command is not supported. In addition, the old /WHOIS
local command will not work with LISTSERV, so there is no way
for users to query the SIGNUP2 file.

A few file format parameters (F=...) available in LISTEARN are not
available in LISTSERV, such as F=SPLIT.

15. For any questions, problems or comments regarding the migration
from LISTEARN to LISTSERV, or LISTSERV maintenance in general,
EARN members should write to our LISTSERV support address:

16. Note that EARN sites may now get LMAIL as a replacement for the
Columbia/Princeton Mailer. There are several advantages to running
LMAIL together with LISTSERV (see the installation notes). It is
recommended that you install LMAIL first, before installing LISTSERV.