Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:14:11 -0500
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:39:39 -0500, Dan Robinson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Tracey, if you contact the spam address, they'll simply add your address
>to more lists. I had that happen to me. I tracked back a different
>spammer to the hosting isp and told them what was happening. That
>stopped it.

One reason why I didn't name names is that it's _possible_ that the
organization named on the From: line was innocent and was the victim of a
mail-bomber. What better way to mail-bomb someone than to make a bunch of
list owners mad at them? The mail definitely came through Pacific Bell so
the best thing is to send all the mail headers to [log in to unmask] and let
them figure out what account really sent it -- it looked like a dial-up
account, IIRC, so assuming that they keep logs of which account used which
dial-up IP at what time, they should be able to track down the real culprit.

Francoise