"David Boyes (Network Postmaster)" <556@OREGON1>
Thu, 7 Jan 88 13:58:30 PST
>> [example of mail commands to LISTSERV] Maybe, maybe not. Why can't listserv
>just check to see  if all message lines are valid  listserv commands? If just
>one line is found that is not  a valid listserv command, then the whole thing
>is mail.

Because LISTSERV as  a mail processing agent has no  business mucking with the
text of ANY message not directly addressed to it. Eric got roundly flamed (and
justifiably, I  think) for scanning the  text of mail for  multiple To: lines;
this is a similar suggestion. Also, how  do you deal with the possibility of a
valid mail file in which ALL lines just happen to begin with LISTSERV commands
but it is a posting to a newsgroup? The possiblity is admittedly small, but it
is something that needs to be considered.

Educating users is  probably the only practical solution. I  know that I can't
afford the increase  in CPU usage that  such a change would make,  and I doubt
many others could either.

>/Leonard

David Boyes       (503) 686-4394     |BITNET: 556@OREGON1
Systems Group                        |ARPA  : 556%OREGON1.BITNET@
University of Oregon Computing Center|          CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

  UUCP: [your fav backbone]...!tektronix!uoregon!oregon2!oregon1!556