Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:42:48 -0400
At 09:13 AM 8/17/2006 -0700, Patrick B. O'Brien wrote:
>I'm trying do more clearly understand the rights of the owner, editor
>and the moderator.
>
>I know the owner holds all of the rights the moderator and editor hold.
>Also, if you are a moderator, you should be an editor.
>
>But what about the editor, how are those rights different from the
>owner?

Editors can't do anything but approve postings.  Owners can add and
delete users, change list settings, and so forth.

>How are the editor's rights different from the moderator?

They aren't, really.  The primary reason for having the Moderator=
keyword is to allow more than one person to see postings that need to
be approved.

If all you have defined are Editors, then only the first defined
Editor will ever see postings for approval.

Moderators, if defined, get postings for approval in either a
round-robin fashion, or, if "ALL" is specified, all moderators get
all postings for approval.

Basically Moderator= was added to provide for sites where either a)
the moderation load is heavy enough to warrant splitting it up among
multiple moderators (round robin), or b) multiple people needed to
see all postings before they were approved (when "ALL" is specified).

I hope that makes sense.  Bottom line, non-owners who are editors
and/or moderators do not have any authority over the list except to
approve postings.  They can't edit the list header or the membership
or anything like that.

Nathan